When it’s time for water heater replacement in Winder, GA, there are two major decisions you’ll have to make: if you get a tank or tankless water heater, and your budget.
Tankless water heaters generally cost more upfront but use less energy over the lifespan of the system. Traditional tank water heaters cost less upfront but cost more to run for as long as you own it.
Another big factor in a water heater’s cost to run is its energy efficiency rating. A water heater that uses less energy will cost more and one that’s an energy hot will cost less. Let’s look at water heaters and energy usage in depth.
Energy Star Ratings
The easiest way to choose a water heater that you know will be energy efficient is to look for the ENERGY STAR-certified label. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) gives ENERGY STAR certification to water heaters that use less energy.
The rating is based on the water heater’s uniform energy factor (UEF) rating which measures is based on two things: how much energy it uses and how much is used to power the water heater itself. The higher the UEF number, the more energy-efficient the water heater will be. To earn an ENERGY-STAR designation, water heaters must meet these criteria.
- Gas tank water heater (up to 55 gallons) must have a minimum UEF of 0.81
- Gas tank water heater ( 55+ gallons) must have a minimum UEF of 0.86
- Gas tankless water heater must have a minimum UEF of 0.87
The Type of Water Heater & Energy Consumption
There are 2 types of water heater types: tankless and tank. Let’s go over their pros and cons solely in terms of energy efficiency.
- Tank water heaters are found in most homes in the US. They keep a “tank” of hot water ready at all times. This requires energy usage 24 hours a day as the water heater is constantly using energy to keep a supply of hot water available for use. Although they’re less energy efficient than tankless models, there are features you can choose to increase energy efficiency.
- Tankless water heaters are also called on-demand water heaters because they heat water “on demand” without the use of a storage tank. Because water is heated only as you need it, they use a lot less energy. According to the DOE, they can be 24-34% more efficient than tank water heaters which would result in some impressive savings on monthly utility expenses.
If you need water heater services, you need a reliable team. Our technicians are licensed, knowledgeable, and experienced. In fact, we continually train our technicians so that they’re always up to date with the latest advancements in water heater technology. Trust the team that has served the Winder, GA area for the past 50 years.
Contact the team at American Comfort Heating and Cooling for water heater replacement in Winder, GA. Bringing Comfort to America, One Home at a Time.